School Board & Policymaker Resources
Review the Requirements
- Louisiana Revised Statute 17:281 does not require SE instruction at any grade level, but schools are allowed to teach SE in grades 7–12 (grades 3-12 under the Orleans Parish School Board).
- SE has to emphasize abstinence but may include information on birth control and condoms.
- Birth control and condoms cannot be distributed on school grounds.
- Although comprehensive sex education (CSE) is allowed, the Governor’s Office accepts Federal Title V Abstinence Education funds, which can only be used to promote abstinence.
- Abstinence-only education programs are not effective at delaying the initiation of sexual activity, yet the Governor’s Office continues to promote this option to schools.